Thursday, August 4, 2011

Row Row Row your Kayak...


So this Past Saturday I got together with a few gals to spend our late morning Kayaking. The same gals I met up with for the Hollywood Sign Hike. I didn't take any pictures because I have Never Kayaked before and I was afraid of flipping over and my cell phone and Camera falling to the bottom of the canals.

My gal friend Jen came to pick me up in the morning and we headed over to Sunset Rentals on PCH to meet up with the other two gals. We each got our own Single Kayak and off we went.

Jen and I both never kayaked before so we kind of got stuck by the docks and did not know really how to steer and were yelling over to the other patrons watch out we don't know how to do this ..move outta the way!! LOL it was pretty funny but by the end of the 2 hours we were pros! We learned pretty quickly..only stuck really for the first 10 minutes.

They gave us a map and all four of us started on our 2 hour journey. The weather was perfect. There were tons of people out there kayaking,paddle boarding and boating. It was so nice to just casually strolling along looking at all the beautiful ocean front homes.

At the end of our first hour we rowed our way over to a private little sandy beach area and parked our kayaks and had some lunch. Renee was great to buy a Big subway turkey and provolone on wheat and Jen shared some grapes and we all munched and relaxed.

After lunch we headed back to the rental location which was about 30 minutes away but we had to row AGAINST the current..WOW what a work out!!!! It was a struggle especially should a Yacht come cruising by and blow you off into the sidelines that you have been trying to avoid with the current and wind. I was Sweating so bad and was breathing with my mouth and my arms felt like they were going to fall off..the road was mighty but still I felt GREAT! I kinda felt like I was working in a chain gang.

Once we got back we parked the kayaks at the rental spot all wet and covered in sea salt and said our goodbyes pretty quickly since we all had places to be within hours.

I so want to do this on a regular basis.  I think I will take the kids too before summer is over...they would love it!
Can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Thelma said...

I would love to go kayaking but when my knee is 100% better I would imagine it's hard to get in and out of the kayak. Looks like fun!

Iris said...

Actually they have people there to help you in and out..it was hard getting in at first..just as long as you don't mind stepping out into the water.